Rumors say, there are about 200+ ranking factors for Google and backlinks are among the top 3 contenders for google ranks, as said by Andrey Lipattsev earlier ( Partner Development Manager, Search and Integrations at Google), I also happen to listen to him in a recently conducted “Digital Transformation Day” an online conference this month. A backlink is very commonly used term in the SEO world. These are links coming into your web pages from external websites or commonly stated as links from a third party back to your website. Acquiring backlinks is also a proven marketing tactic that increases brand awareness and conversions.
Top 2 factors are link related, Source: Moz | Search Engine Ranking Factors 2015
Traditionally, web pages with maximum backlinks used to rank higher which is largely true, even today. The more you have, the better are the chances to rank well for top keywords.
What is a good backlink
* Search engines also consider citation or mentions like links
Being relevant to the search query is of utmost importance to Google. A backlink is relevant when it comes from a relevant source.
Google must trust the website from where the link is originating to your website, for a backlink to be good to you. Google’s move towards not trusting a website without SSL encryption is a worrying factor as chances of our old backlinks getting diluted are more. (if they don’t bring in encryption for example)
Effective link building doesn’t mean building unlimited links but it means getting genuine links from the website that are reliable and of high domain authority. For example, A link from an authoritative website like the Wall Street Journal will make a greater impact on your rank than a link from a newly built website.
All your backlinks should not be from same domain with different quality domains, instead.
The Significance of Link Building
Backlinks from one website to another act as a vote in eyes of Google and indicates search engines that others vouch for your content.
Link Building helps in the following:
- More visibility of your website and content in the search result.
- The high-quality incoming link means your site will be admired as a valuable resource to Google. Focusing on niche and quality content are some of the ways to look at it.
- Getting indexed in search result easily.
- Receive traffic from other websites linked to your web pages
- It is also a very strong signal which search engines use while considering ranking.
- 13 Steps For Building An Effective SEO Strategy
- Press Release SEO – Best Practices & Checklist To Optimize PR
- Google Penguin 4.0 Update – Impact On SEO
What do you think, Let me know your thoughts and suggestions in the comments section below!
Disclosure: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
Neeraj is a Tech Marketer with 9+ years of experience in B2B Sales and Marketing. At StepToInbound, Neeraj writes about Website, Search, Social Media and Marketing Automation practices.